It's no secret that I love Mexican food! But it's also no secret that it is very very bad for me!! Well, these tacos are virtually clean and very healthy and protein packed!!
- 1.25 lbs Ground Turkey
- 1 Green Bell Pepper Diced (Red works too)
- 1 can Low Sodium Corn (Drained and rinsed)
- 1 can Low Sodium Black Beans
- 2 cloves Garlic Minced
- Olive Oil
-1 Medium White Onion Diced
- 1 Packet Low Sodium Taco Seasoning
- 1 Avocado Diced
- Romaine Lettuce
- 2 Limes
- Greek Yogurt (Optional)
- Tortillas (Optional)
Over medium and high heat sauté the onions in 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil in a large at least 2 inch deep pan. After about 2 minutes add in corn and garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes. Add in the bell pepper. In a separate sauce pan warm up the black beans, turn off when a small simmer starts. Add in ground turkey and the taco seasoning packet to the onion, pepper, corn mixture. Stir and break up the turkey as it cooks. Cook for 5-7 minutes until a light simmer. Squeeze in the juice of 1 full lime. Strain the black beans and stir into turkey mixture.
Assembly time! If you opted for tortillas warm them up in the microwave or on the stove top. If you want to skip the extra calories use cups of romaine as your tortilla. Fill the cups/tortillas with your taco mixture and top with lettuce(skip if using lettuce cups), avocado, and squeeze some lime on top!
• Like sour cream on your tacos? Greek yogurt is a great option! You won't even know it's not sour cream!
• For an extra kick top with your favorite hot sauce! I used sriracha but Tabasco or any other is just fine!
• I also added some chipotle inspired brown rice with lime and chipotle inside my tacos. Very simple recipe: Cook brown rice in a rice cooker, once it's done chop up some cilantro and squeeze the juice of 1 whole lime and mix in!